Friday, March 18, 2011

WELCOME TO MYSTERY FRIDAYS

CHAPTER TWO - THE FIND

Into the dryer it went. I put it on delicate for about thirty minutes. I walked through to the kitchen and put a bottle of champagne on ice. As I placed the bottle into the refrigerator I thought, now to find Karen.

I heard a noise coming from the living room and checking it out I found Karen curled up on the couch. She looked like a fairytale princess: sound asleep waiting for me, her Prince Charming, to bend over and kiss her lightly on the lips. I said to myself "I can actually do this!" This whole day seemed to be a dream anyway, so bending on one knee, I leaned over and and gave her a kiss on the lips. And as in all fairy tales she very slowly, and on cue, woke up and said "I love you". Looking at her for a moment I said "This is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life".

"Thank you." She said "Do you like how I am putting the house together? Is there anything you would like me to change?" I said "Absolutely not". I still can't understand how everything was arranged... everything had a place and was in it's place, like a complicated puzzle. Karen said "I have a big surprise for you...I want you to see what I've done with the room upstairs, the one I'm turning into your study." "I have a surprise for you, too." She looked at me and said "You do?" I answered "Yes...I found it first thing this morning. I know you are going to like it." Karen said "What are you talking about? This sounds very intriguing." "It is. But it's not done yet. By-the-way, I put champagne on ice...I think we should toast this nice house of ours. While it's chilling, I'll start a fire...Meet me in the living room?"

I went looking for wood in the backyard. I thought, what else could I ask for? As I grabbed the logs and went back through the house, I could see that Karen had drifted off to sleep again.

When the fire was under control, I quietly tiptoed into the kitchen to see if the champagne was chilled. Was rooting around for some caviar, when the buzzer on the dryer went off. "The quilt!!" I thought, oh please, don't let it be ruined. I raced to the laundry room, crossed my fingers and opened the door. Reaching in the dryer I felt the warmth of the quilt. It was in great condition. As I turned it over, the vibrant squares and triangles of multicolored fabric started to sing in my arms. NOT RUINED!. It looked brand new. I folded it up and decided to sneak back into the living room.

I quietly stepped into the room and she was gone. "Where are you?" I asked. "Up here. I'll be down in a minute," she said. Folding the quilt to the wrong side, I placed it on the couch and sat in a chair waiting for her to join me. I heard her lovely voice coming down the stairs. "Here I am." She was wearing a beautiful off white silk thing, you know, with lace. And her old terry cloth robe loosely opened. Dreams really do come true!

She noticed the folded quilt..."What do we have here?? she said. "This is my surprise for you. I found it early this morning in the solarium. Look at this-our first treasure," I said. I slowly unfolded it. She was dumbstruck. She asked "You found that this morning?" "First thing." I answered. "What a wonderful old quilt. It's lovely! Thank you darling." "I thought we could cuddle under it tonight" I said. Then I asked "What was that thing your Grandmother used to say about quilts? What did Grandma say when she gave us the quilt?" Karen thought a minute and said...

"With this, a quilt I made for thee, always you will remember me,
Be safe and warm within my arms, from day to night from dust till dawn."

"Let's try it out and see if it works," Karen said. I reached over and handed her a glass of champagne. We interlocked our arms, like young married couples do, I said to her "I love you my darling. Let's not let this moment end." As we drank the bubbly, the events of the day started to slowly creep upon us. We held each other tightly and drifted off to sleep under the quilt.


Copyright 2011 Curtis Boehringer

Saturday We will have the first two
free patterns to make this quilt.
Be safe and warm. Till tomorrow.
Best Wishes and Happy Stitching

3 comments:

  1. Oh my how I love this story. Also intrigued ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curtis, sorry to leave this note here. I was wanting to send you an email to officially let you know you've been nominated to the 2011 Golden Quilter Awards (http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2011/03/vote-for-your-favorite-nominees-for.html ) but I couldn't find your email.

    As a designer, you may want to add your profile or a text box on your blog that allows an email way for people to contact you. But do check out the post from the link provided.

    Congratulations. sorry this isn't a very official announcement.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
    sewcalgal (at) live (dot) com

    SewC

    ReplyDelete

I would be very pleased to hear from you!